SEARED SMOKEY SCALLOPS, SUMMER TOMATO CHUTNEY,
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PUREE, CRISPY BACON, HERB OIL AND BABY CAPERS.
“The combination of sweet creamy scallops flavoured with smoked paprika and the chutney made of prime summer tomatoes is an amazing combination.”
Pair with your favourite Chardonnay.
RECIPE SERVES FOUR
12 large scallops
Extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground Black pepper
4 strips crispy bacon
4tblsp butternut squash puree
4tblsp tomato chutney
1tsp baby capers
DAY BEFORE THE DINNER
Butternut squash puree
454g/16oz butternut squash
1tbsp soft salted butter
20floz vegetable stock
Take peeled and diced butternut squash and cover with vegetable stock.
Bring to the boil then simmer till tender.
Drain for 30 minutes then in a food processor puree with 1tbsp soft butter.
Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Fresh or frozen make sure you remove the “foot” which is a piece of muscle that will be tough to eat.
250g/8oz finely sliced red onion
1 small red chilli deseeded and diced
100ml red wine vinegar
200g/7oz brown sugar
Put everything in a pot and stir together well season with salt and pepper
Simmer for 40-50 minutes stirring occasionally or until the mixure is “jammy”
Keep the chutney as is or puree until smooth.
Once canned this chutney will keep for six months on the shelf or 2 weeks in the fridge.
Make Chutney and can when tomatoes are in their prime to use through the Winter.
ASSEMBLY ON THE DAY
- First take your scallops and lightly dust with smoked paprika, and fresh black pepper.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and place to one side.
- Heat the squash puree and spread onto your plate.
- Place a spoon of chutney on the plate.
- Sprinkle a few capers around.
- Heat a skillet on medium high then place the scallops into the dry pan one by one from left to right starting at one o clock, this way you know where to start turning your scallops from.
- Sear for 2 minutes or until coloured, turn and sear for a further 2 minutes, add a few pieces of butter to the pan and finish cooking for a further 2 minutes or until cooked through (timing depends on the size of your scallops)
- Place three scallops per plate then place a piece of crisp bacon and arugula leaves on the plate and serve.